Christmas and the lead up to it is without a doubt my favourite time of year. London is usually grey and wet but the sparkling lights, mulled wine and classic (cheesy) songs sprinkle a little bit of magic on most of us and make it a very cosy time of year. What London lacks for in the weather department, it makes up for with what it has on offer to help us get that festive feeling. Here are some of my favourite things to do in December.
- Go shopping. (But for once not for myself!) Christmas is a time of reflection, a time to remember and be thankful for all we have in our lives and what better way to show someone gratitude than by getting them something special. I am a sucker for department stores such as Harrods, Liberty and Fortnum&Mason.
- Buy a Christmas Tree. If you live in London then it is very easy to get your hands on a real Christmas Tree. I love decorations from Harrods, Lux Deco and The White Company.
- Drink some mulled wine! If you have ever spent Christmas or New Years in the mountains then you will agree that Alpine Glamour is the best. This year the Goring Hotel has opened the “St Moritz Ski Bar” – I will definitely be spending a lot of time here as this year we will sadly not be spending New Years Eve in St Moritz.
- Visit a Christmas market to stock up on seasonal treats and Christmas gifts- my personal favourite is the Belgravia Christmas market on this weekend (5th & 6th December).
- Have a feast! December is the one time of year that I let myself off a bit in terms of what I eat. Indulge in mince pies, gingerbread and stollen! You can spend January working out and getting back in shape.
- Go ice skating – OK lets be honest ice skating in London is not exactly the best experience. Going around in a circle with a bunch of fellow skaters most of whom have no idea what they are doing isn’t quite as romantic as it looks, but nevertheless it is still fun and sure to put you in a festive mood! I tend to go close to home at the Natural History Museum but there are ice rinks popping up all over London! Read more here.
- Go to the ballet or to a concert. I love the Royal Opera House for their Christmas ballet (but you need to book early!!) and the Royal Albert Hall for Handels Messiah.
- Brave Winter Wonderland. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I love it!
If none of these appeal to you, then just walk around London for a few hours and soak in the atmosphere! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! xx